PIK's #4 Most Popular Pond Plant
Hornwort (Ceratophyllum demersum), also known as Coontail, is a fast-growing, aquatic Oxygenating plant that can be submerged or grown in small containers. In addition to its oxygenating benefits, It also emits a hormone to help eliminate algae and clarify water, which makes it ideal for ponds. While most seedlings grow like anacharis, hornworts have longer leaves. They are packed tightly in whorls at the growing ends of the stem and form plumes when grown underwater.
- Care level: very easy. It can adapt to almost any water type, and can tolerate a wide extreme of temperatures.
- Grows well in Full Sun to Full shade
- Very easy to grow
- Can be tucked into the substrate on the bottom of the pond
- Great for spawning or as cover/protection for small fish and fry
- One of the best plants to oxygenate ponds
- Easily one of the most popular pond and aquarium plants
- Hardiness Zones: Z5 - Z11
Because of its fast-growing nature, many people use this plant to soak up nitrates in breeding tanks or provide safe hiding places for fry in community fish tanks. When hornwort is allowed to float at the top of a fish tank, it provides a perfect refuge for tiny fry from hungry adult fish.
Price is per cup, unbanded. Minimum order quantity = 3.
Shipping Expectations: We cannot ship to Puerto Rico. We've found the best success in shipping these when we send them earlier in the week to avoid lengthier shipping times caused by carriers' weekend breaks. Plants Ship USPS Priority 1-3 Days, Mon-Wed Only, regardless of shipping method selected at Checkout.
Want More Popular Pond Plants? Here are our Top 5 sellers from the last 5 years
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.