Koi Clear V-105 Vortex Filter
One single standard unit suitable for water gardens up to 20 Tons / 5,300 Gallons.
Versatile and modular application, state of the art progressive filtration, the Matala filter media with 3-dimensional structure and high free volume, easy installation, transport friendly.
The Koi Clear Unit is available in two different packages:
- KoiClear 105 Tank and lid only- Used as a vortex (no fittings, no media, no stand)
- KoiClear 105 Complete Filter w/ 3 Matala - Used as mechanical & biological filtration. Kit includes Tank and lid with 3 layers of Matala media including:
- 1 x Black Matala Support Grid approx. 33"diameter x 2" thick
- 1 x Green Matala Mechanical Filter Layer approx. 35" diameter x 6" thick
- 1 x Blue Matala Biological Filter Layer approx. 38" diameter x 6" thick.
Features and Benefits:
- Dimensions: 42-inch diameter x 40 inch tall. Tank Tapers to an approx. 16" x 16" square bottom.
- Koi Clear holds approximately 150 gallons volume.
- Versatile and Modular Application.
- Can be used as Vortex or as combined Vortex + Filter.
- One tank can be applied as a single filtration unit.
- Several tanks can be applied as modules in a multi-chamber filter.
- State of the Art Progressive Filtration
- For better step-wise transition from mechanical filtration to bio-filtration.
- The Matala Filter media with 3-Dimensional Structure and High Free Volume
- Active, self-cleaning vortex flow below and throughout the filter media.
- Very resistant to clogging.
- Easily maintained: Top to bottom rinsing.
- Easy Installation
- Thanks to the sloped square bottom of the KoiClear105, no extra supports are needed for positioning and equilibration.
- Transport Friendly. Shipped via freight. Tanks are fully stackable.
Important: the Stand, Bulkheads & Fittings are all sold Separately. The tank has no holes drilled in it. You must provide holes and fittings. You may use bulkheads or Uni-seals.
Typically you will need three fittings
1) One inlet from the pump or from the pond to feed water to the filter.
- If gravity flow to the filter you will need a 3-inch or 4-inch inlet. A single 4-inch pipe can handle up to 3500 gph by gravity flow to the filter. A single 3-inch pipe can handle only 1800 gph by gravity flow.
- If pumping to the filter you will need a 2-inch inlet.
- if gravity flow back to the pond you will need a 4-inch outlet. If the return to pond is gravity flow, you can increase flow rate to 4500 gallons per hour only if your 4-inch pipe is less than 5 feet and definitely draining downhill.if pumping back to the pond you will need a 2-inch outlet. * See above flow rates.
- if pumping back to the pond you will need a 2-inch outlet. * See above flow rates.
- if the bottom of the Koi Clear is above grade or in a position where it can drain downhill then you can use a 2" or 3" drain fitting with a ball valve or knife valve on outside. Just open the valve and the dirty water will drain downhill.
- if the bottom of Koi Clear is below grade or in a position where it cannot drain downhill then you must use a sludge pump in the bottom of the Koi Clear to pump out the waste. In many cases you can install the sludge pump permanently at the bottom of the Koi Clear and just plug it in to pump out the waste. The pipe from the sludge pump should rise above the water level so that you do not have a leak when sludge pump is not in use.
A word on Creating a Proper Vortex with the Matala Koi Clear: To create the best vortex settlement chamber, it needs to be gravity fed line into the chamber (not pumped) and connected to a bottom drain. You can do a single 4-inch line if you are planning to get the max out of it as they can handle up to 3500 gph gravity flow or if easier to get/more cost-effective you could also go with 2 of the 3” inlets.
Keep in mind that if your gph flow-through rate is greater than 3000 gph maximum it won’t work correctly. The particles won’t settle properly and will just spin out. If your pump is greater than 3000gph, but less than 4500 gph, you can still be successful with the vortex settlement by adding a 6” black matt to the first chamber. This essentially adds some “friction” to help slow the spin so the solids can settle out. Then everything else is the same….
The gravity fed inlet(s) would be near the bottom with elbow(s) creating the vortex. The Solids spin and settle out in the middle of the vortex and then fall to the bottom. Then the water exits an inlet near the top.
We recommend you use 2" or 3" standard size bulkheads for your waterproof fittings.
**NOTE: DUE TO SIZE, THESE UNITS DO NOT QUALIFY FOR FREE SHIPPING. MOST CUSTOMERS PURCHASE ONE KC105C (INCLUDES 3 FILTER MEDIA) AND ONE KC105 (TANK AND LID ONLY). THE SHIPPING COSTS ALMOST ALWAYS END UP THE SAME IF SHIPPING 1 UNIT VS. 2 UNITS.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.